Eastside Medical Group January 05, 2015
Tired of making New Year’s resolutions you don’t keep?
Let us help you keep your resolve going strong throughout the year with these quick tips:
- Think it through. Whether you’re setting a goal of getting out of debt or losing weight, make sure you’re keeping your resolutions manageable by carefully considering your strengths and limitations. Use this self-awareness to set reasonable goals that allow you to celebrate your successes.
- Pay attention to the details. A concrete, step-by-step plan will help you articulate specific goals. For example, you could say, “I’m going to get in better shape this year,” or you could say, “By the end of the year, I am going to run a 10K race.” The latter goal comes with tangible milestones you can use to track your progress, and seeing that progress can keep you motivated.
- Talk it up. The more people who know about your goals, the more you’re likely to hold yourself accountable for sticking to your resolutions. Celebrate successes along the way by talking those up, too. A little ego boost never hurts when you’re on the road to success!
- Identify potential barriers ahead of time. If you experience a setback on your journey toward achieving your New Year’s resolution, don’t beat yourself up. Instead, find a way to refocus your energy on the task at hand. Try meditation or yoga, or look for inspiration to get you going again.
- Don’t underrate support. Having someone who will listen to and encourage you can help you remain motivated and upbeat about your goals. Find a friend who has resolutions similar to yours or who already embodies the changes you’re trying to make. Together, you can work your way to the end goal.
- Be patient. Making healthy lifestyle adjustments takes time. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results right away. The point is to make simple adjustments and stick to them. In time, all the small changes you’re making can add up to a bigger long-term payoff.